Disclaimer – if you decide to purchase a product after clicking on a link on my site I may get a commission which helps The Crafty Mentor keep going.. This hasn’t influenced any review or comments about the product!
Having your own website can be a great idea. Not only will it make you stand out as someone serious about their craft business, but it also allows you to have a space, that you own, that will always be there should there be any changes with where you normally sell (Etsy changes their search algorithm for example).
Although I have always personally gone for a self hosted WordPress website myself (see my resources page for more info on this) but in the craft communities I am part of, one provider of websites came highly recommended so I decided to give the site a go and see what it has to offer.
Create allows you to not only set up a website, but also an online shop so as you can see – it’s perfect for crafters! You can see how long it took me to quickly set up my account in the video above. Less than 5 minutes!
Here’s my thoughts about it all:
What’s good about Create:
- Simple! Even if you had no experience of building websites, you could get something up and running easily. You don’t need to know anything about how it works to create it.
- It’s pretty. We all want that stand out shop and Create does that for you. From my research of other people’s sites and from what I could create myself – they look GOOD! And if it looks good, then it looks professional. Just what we’re aiming for.
- You get a free trial that doesn’t eve ask for any payment details. So if it’s not for you there’s no worry about it charging you.
- Online shop integrated. No need to add that in, you get it as part of the package.
- Reasonable prices – I really think it’s a good deal as this includes your website hosting. The only other thing you may want is to have your own custom domain (again – see my resources page for info on this)
What’s not so good:
- You can’t get your site published while you’re on the trial. You must pay.
Ok that’s not so many bad things. I do wish you could give it a real go under the trial but I guess that may be too many moving parts! There’s a really cheap lite option in the price options though, so for about £6 you could give it a go for a month. (and actually there’s an even cheaper package than that!)
Overall I really do like them and I do recommend them. If you want to spend more time on crafting your products than crafting a perfect looking website then I highly advise you to give them a go! You get a 30 day free trial so nothing to lose!
Let me know in the comments what you think of it!